Sunday, February 22, 2009

Rye Bread

This is the NKB Rye recipe from www.breadtopia.com. I've only had one slice so far, since I literally just finished baking it. It is delicious; like the recipe says, I wouldn't really call the carway seeds "optional", and they're not expensive.

Because of my smaller pot, I made two loaves. The first one I did at 500°F for the covered 30 minutes, then 450°F for the 15 minutes uncovered. It made for a taller loaf, and the tips are a little blackened, but so is the bottom. I haven't tried this loaf yet. As Gina pointed out, it's the 'pretty' one. It's picture is at the bottom.
The second loaf I did at 450°F for both cooking period, and it made the shorter loaf that you can see above, but I like the color better.

Here is the recipe. The only thing I did differently, is that I used cornmeal for the coating during the 2 hour sit, and before I placed the seam-side down, I put a liberal sprinkling of caraway seeds on the cloth, to make a nice seed topping. I really like how it turned out.

No Knead Rye Bread

Ingredients:

3/4 C Dark rye flour (Light rye will also work fine)
2-1/4 C All purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1-1/2 t Kosher salt (other salts are fine)
3/8 t Instant Yeast (that’s 1/4 t plus half of that again)
1-1/2 T Caraway seeds (Optional, although I don’t know why you’d leave it out)
1-1/2 C Water

Directions:

Mix and bake as any other no knead bread recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment