Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine

So, I'm getting a puppy! Yay!

I went to the Galveston Island Human Society on Thursday, and saw a couple I really liked. The one that first piqued my interest online did not like me at all, but she's already adopted, sot that's ok. I went back this morning to finalize the process of adopting the one I had picked out. The web interface doesn't state it, but apparently this dog has heartworms. I called the non-profit clinic, and they said it'd cost about $200 to fix, which doesn't seem too bad overall. I talked to Matt and my Dad, and they both strongly advised against it, pointing out that it's not an insta-fix, and it's very possible to get this dog, commit to it financially and emotionally, only to have it not get healthy.

So, instead, I picked the 7 month old chocolate lab:
Her shelter name is Chloe, but I think I'm going to name her Valentine. I like to name my animals after literary characters that fit. Thus I had Puck the cat (when I got her as a kitten she was very mercurial), and we now have Scout the cat; Scout Finch is her full name.
I was originally going to go with Annabelle, so that I'd have my Annabelle Lee. I love the name, but I don't want to name a child with it, because the source is not very positive. But I realized that as fitting as the first stanza is, I really don't want to name a pet after it either... So I'm leaning towards Valentine (Wiggin), but am not 100% settled yet.

Wait, I guess I'm getting her on Valentine's weekend, aren't I? Guess that puts a lot of bonus points towards that name...

No comments:

Post a Comment