Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Vibrams

So, I've had the Vibrams for 2 weeks now.
This is at the end of my jog on Wednesday, 01/27.

They took some getting used to, but only a couple days. At first, the sole under the outside of the ball and under the rear of the heel felt a little too thick, making it awkward and pushing my feet around. But after only one day of wearing them the whole day, I stopped noticing. Whether from breaking in, wearing down, or just fitting around my foot better, I'm not sure, but there you go.

I jogged in them only once so far. I adjusted to a mid-foot strike fairly quickly after thinking about it for the first block. I'd hit the heel every once in a while, but you really notice when that happens (ow), so I'd shift back quickly. But man, did my calfs ache afterwards. It was interesting that the ache was only in the top middle of my calf, just below the knee. It was obvious that it was that part of the muscle that was newly used with the mid-strike. The only reason I've only run in them once ties into my only gripe with them.

They have no insulation whatsoever. Intellectually, I knew this going in, but really, they have NONE. if it's less than 60 outside, they suck. Hell, they're cool on my feet even when I'm inside; I'm much better off wearing my loose fleece houseshoes, that let my feet form freely too. I look forward to running on the beach with them, but I'm really not gonna get a ton of use out of them for another month or so.

The only other gripe I have is that my right pinky toe still doesn't fit quite right. All toes slide in - though I still have to put them in place, since my toes curve outward. But once they're in, the fabric feels like it's pinching, or twisting on the right pinky, though not the left. I get used to it after 20-30 min, but it's very uncomfortable up till then. Hopefully as I wear them more, my feet will free up some, and the shoes will form up some.

No comments:

Post a Comment